- Nominated Films
- Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Feature Filmmaking
- Outstanding Achievement in Direction
- Outstanding Achievement in Editing
- Outstanding Achievement in Production
- Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography
- Outstanding Achievement in Graphic Design or Animation
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Score
- Outstanding Achievement in a Debut Feature Film
- Spotlight Award
- Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Filmmaking for Television
- Audience Choice
- Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Short Filmmaking
- Heterodox Award
- Distinctive Honors
- Audience Choice
- Register your Film
Our top award celebrates the highest dedication to excellence in nonfiction filmmaking across all fields of craft and artistry. Previous winners in this category are Manda Bala (Send a Bullet) (2008), Man on Wire (2009), The Cove (2010), Exit Through the Gift Shop (2011), The Interrupters (2012) and 5 Broken Cameras (2013).
This monumental work situates itself in terrain so terrifying that few filmmakers would dare even visit. After connecting with a handful of boastful Indonesian thugs with a genocidal history, Joshua Oppenheimer offers them the opportunity to revisit their past through...
Since the assassination of Dr. George Tiller in Kansas in 2009, only four doctors in the United States continue to perform third-trimester abortions. These physicians, all colleagues of Dr. Tiller, sacrifice their safety and personal lives in the name of...
A beautifully crafted and intimate portrait of two Japanese artists, Ushio and Noriko, and their forty-year love story. When they meet in New York in the 1970s Noriko feels in the shadow of her older, higher-profile, husband who is lauded...
One of the most gripping and ferocious cinematic experiences of recent years, Leviathan is a documentary like no other. Shooting on a commercial fishing vessel off the New Bedford coast (in the same waters where Herman Melville’s Pequod gave chase...
A vivacious force of nature, actress and filmmaker Sarah Polley’s mother Diane died when her daughter was just 11. Only recently Polley discovered that her mother took to her grave a secret that alters her family’s dynamic and causes a...