- Nominated Films
- Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Feature Filmmaking
- Outstanding Achievement in Direction
- Outstanding Achievement in Editing
- Outstanding Achievement in Production
- Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography
- Outstanding Achievement in Graphic Design or Animation
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Score
- Outstanding Achievement in a Debut Feature Film
- Spotlight Award
- Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Filmmaking for Television
- Audience Choice
- Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Short Filmmaking
- Heterodox Award
- Distinctive Honors
- Audience Choice
- Register Your Film
Our top award celebrates the highest dedication to excellence in nonfiction filmmaking across all fields of craft and artistry. Previous winners in this category are Manda Bala (Send a Bullet) (2008), Man on Wire (2009), The Cove (2010), Exit Through the Gift Shop (2011), The Interrupters (2012), 5 Broken Cameras (2013) and The Act of Killing (2014).
Singer-songwriter Nick Cave is a singular figure from the last 40 years of music, a feral rogue whose Old Testament–style psychodramas and murder ballads stir up salvation and damnation in equal measure. In this exquisite profile, his still-vital spirit is...
Laura Poitras was at work on the final installment of her trilogy about the aftermath of 9/11 (after My Country, My Country and The Oath), focusing on American electronic surveillance and whistleblowers, when she received an encrypted email from a...
In 2013, we lost Roger Ebert—arguably the nation’s best-known and most influential movie critic. Based on his memoir of the same name, Life Itself recounts Ebert’s fascinating and flawed journey—from politicized school newspaperman, to Chicago Sun-Times movie critic, to Pulitzer...
“It does amaze me that giving people floor space is provocative,” muses Jay Reinke, the pastor of the Concordia Lutheran Church in Williston, North Dakota. He knows of what he speaks – for some months now, he has been offering...
In the forested depths of eastern Congo lies Virunga National Park, one of the most bio-diverse places in the world and home to the last of the mountain gorillas. In this wild, but enchanted environment, a small and embattled team...