- Nominated Films
- Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Feature Filmmaking
- Outstanding Achievement in Direction
- Outstanding Achievement in Editing
- Outstanding Achievement in Production
- Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography
- Outstanding Achievement in Graphic Design or Animation
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Score
- Outstanding Achievement in a Debut Feature Film
- Spotlight Award
- Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Filmmaking for Television
- Audience Choice
- Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Short Filmmaking
- Heterodox Award
- Distinctive Honors
- Audience Choice
- Register your Film
Short films often represent nonfiction filmmaking at its most pure: a single subject or idea explored at just the right length. This award recognizes those films that find the balance of running time and artistry. The previous winners of this award were Vance Malone’s The Poodle Trainer (2011), Tim Hetherington’s Diary (2012) and Robert-Jan Lacombe’s Good Bye Mandima (Kwa Heri Mandima).
An operating theatre takes on aspects of an alien autopsy as a surgical robot performs a delicate procedure on a human patient. Travelling through the body as if it were an undiscovered seascape, we see human anatomy in shades of...
The filmmaker Laura Poitras follows the tragic return home to Yemen of a Guantánamo Bay prison detainee, Adnan Latif (Sheffield)...
This powerful film follows the courageous journey of one young girl in Pakistan. When 13-year-old Kainat Soomro accused four men of gang rape, she risked everything: her reputation, her education and even her life. That’s because, in Pakistan, women and...
An impressionistic and haunting portrait of reindeer herding in the twilight expanses of the Lappish wilderness. Each autumn, as the daylight retreats, the Arctic”s indigenous S”mi people bring down thousands of reindeer from the surrounding mountainsides, where they spend the...
Depressed and frustrated with his life, Dr. John Kitchin abandons his career as a neurologist and moves to Pacific Beach. There, he undergoes a radical transformation into “SLOMO”, trading his lab coat for a pair of rollerblades and his IRA...
The stranger-than-fiction tale of a bit player from Rosemary’s Baby named Elmer Modlin whose box of memorabilia falls into the hands of filmmaker Oksman in Madrid. With this cache of photos and letters, the director pieces together the Modlins’ unsettling...